coat of wool on a sheep or a similar animal; wool sheared from a sheep at one shearing; something soft and fluffy, something resembling wool; fabric with a soft used to keep warm; warm polyester material with a brushed nap used for outdoor clothings; jacket or other piece of clothing made from fleece fabric
cheat, swindle; deprive of money by fraud, rob; shear the wool from a sheep, remove the fleece of a sheep; overspread as if with a fleece
\fleece\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. fleeced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. fleecing.] 1.
to deprive of a fleece, or natural covering of wool. 2.
to strip of money or other property unjustly, especially by trickery or fraud; to bring to straits by oppressions and exactions. whilst pope and prince shared the wool betwixt them, the people were finely fleeced. 3.
to spread over as with wool. [r.]fleece
\fleece\ (?), n. [oe. flees, as. fle?s; akin to d. flies, vlies] 1. the entire coat of wood that covers a sheep or other similar animal; also, the quantity shorn from a sheep, or animal, at one time. who shore me like a tame wether, all my precious fleece. 2.
any soft woolly covering resembling a fleece. 3.
(manuf.) the fine web of cotton or wool removed by the doffing knife from the cylinder of a carding machine.fleece
wool, wool shorn from the sheep.
is a general term for a soft fabric (often with a deep pile), and may refer to:
- A fleece, a woollen coat of a domestic sheep or long-haired goat, especially after having been sheared (but before being processed into yarn or thread).
- Polar fleece and related modern synthetic materials used to make cool-weather clothing
- Horticultural fleece, used to protect plants from low temperatures or insect pests
- The Golden Fleece of Greek mythology
- To fleece someone, slang term for causing someone to be ripped off, or an unfair transaction
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
1. the wool of a sheep or similar animal
2. tanned skin of a sheep with the fleece left on; used for clothing
(hyponym) Golden Fleece
3. a soft bulky fabric with deep pile; used chiefly for clothing
(hypernym) fabric, cloth, material, textile
4. outer coat of especially sheep and yaks
(hypernym) coat, pelage
1. rip off; ask an unreasonable price
(synonym) overcharge, soak, surcharge, gazump, plume, pluck, rob, hook
(hypernym) cheat, rip off, chisel
(hyponym) extort, squeeze, rack, gouge, wring
(entail) charge, bill
2. shear the wool from; "shear sheep"
(hypernym) shave, trim
n. a bundle; a fleece
fleece; pasture; who nourisheth the body
the wool of a sheep, whether shorn off or still attached to the skin (Deut. 18:4; Job 31:20). The miracle of Gideon's fleece (Judg. 6:37-40) consisted in the dew having fallen at one time on the fleece without any on the floor, and at another time in the fleece remaining dry while the ground was wet with dew.
Translate the Inglês term fleece to other languages